Friday, April 9, 2010

possibilities

spending the day with the island cousins in a belated egg hunt and for some reason Dickinson keeps popping into my head:

I Dwell in Possibility

I dwell in Possibility--
A fairer House than Prose--
More numerous of Windows--
Superior--for Doors--

Of Chambers as the Cedars--
Impregnable of Eye--
And for an Everlasting Roof
The Gambrels of the Sky--

Of Visitors--the fairest--
For occupation--This--
The spreading wide my narrow Hands
To gather Paradise--

(I often wonder why there are no dashes after 'Roof' and "Hands".)

2 comments:

  1. Emily's dashes are always very random. I've read drafts of her poems where she changes them! Always makes me laugh. She was a closet drama queen, was our Amherst Belle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. or perhaps the wind blew the pages around while she was writing and created random dashes--or mayhaps she put them there in between sheets of cookies--or whatever she baked for the neighborhood children.

    ReplyDelete