Thursday, April 15, 2010

and the rhymes continue...



But with a poem and poet that are completely unknown to me.

Envoy
Ernest Dowson

(Vita summa brevis spem nos vetat incohare longam)*

They are not long, the weeping and the laughter,
Love and desire and hate;
I think they have no portion in us after
We pass the gate.



They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
Out of a misty dream
Our path emerges for a while, then closes
Within a dream.


(Life's brevity prevents us from lengthy aspiration.)

4 comments:

  1. Tax day - also my friend Ruth's b/d - i like your posted poetry even tho you kinda spoiled Frost for me:) - Soli remembered your visit - when I gave her a bath yesterday she had her hand on her ear - said she was talking to Laurie - quite a cute one-sided conversation - Justine and BZ were talking about one of G'ma B's sisters who had a huge superiority complex and fought with everyone - I said perhaps she was narcissistic - they were agreeing when Soli turned around from the other side of the room and said: "Grandma, what are you talking about"? Steve chuckled and said, "Good luck explaining narcissism to Soli!" That was our laugh for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I got off track - it's "poetry month" after all - always enjoy your blog, Laurie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life's brevity should also prevent us from lengthy poetry, but that hasn't stopped a lot of people yet.

    Despite the rhyme, I like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soli's bright enough she's probably understand it!

    And yes, this is a beautiful poem. I think it's Rumi who wrote: "Get up. Remember to breathe and see what the tide brought in." Comforting to know that there are cycles to everything.

    ReplyDelete