Thursday, April 8, 2010

bouquets

At times, it seems extravagant to have fresh flowers in my home.  But there's such a thrill of going to a flower market and wandering all the stalls and choosing the blooms and colours that appeal to one at that particular moment, then having the vendor choose the dozen and then wrap them deftly in their paper cone.  And then the joyful walk homewards with an arm full of joy.  Although, Mr. Frost disagrees with me in this poem, I'm sharing his word anyway.

(tulips from last week's foray into Pike's.)

Bouquets

One flower at a time, please
however small the face.
Two flowers are one flower
too many, a distraction.

Three flowers in a vase begin
to be a little noisy.

Like cocktail conversation,
everybody talking.

A crowd of flowers is a crowd
of flatterers (forgive me).

One flower at a time.  I want
to hear what it is saying.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting - haven't read this one before.

    I disagree altogether -- but then, I am also not a fan of cut flowers at all, so the point is moot! I do love tulips, though, because they seem to keep growing.

    ReplyDelete