Saturday, July 3, 2010

objets de la maison


Cool crisp day--perfect for a wandertag admiring flower baskets.


And for finding gorgeous produce and yet another lucky penny.


Recently have been pondering the etymology of home.   Will continue to explore this topic through the month of July, but for now I offer random shots of stuff that makes up my home.  (Don't know why there's a preponderance of groupings of three.)  What says 'home' to you?  What scents and sights make it yours?


Fresh produce and bits from the seashore always say home to me.


Scented candles are another--as well as objects from my travels. 


A reading lamp by the bed is also something that is homey--since learning to read, I read myself to sleep each night.


Having a nice kitchen is also a plus; after two years in my slummy Princeton kitchen [one drawer, teeny sparking stove], am thrilled to have four working burners and an oven large enough to fit all my baking pans/dishes/sheets.   As I bake a lot, one of the nicest gifts I ever received was miniature baking dishes from my parents when I lived in said wee apartment.


And although I live in what many consider the coffee capitol of the world, there's nothing better than staying home and having fresh coffee in one's jammies.  Although in my uniquely garbed neighborhood, no one would blink if I did.

1 comment:

  1. I was just loving all the flower baskets with the little flags... made me weirdly nostalgic for Benicia... and Alaska. Only in the smallest towns here do they have the flower baskets; nothing like that here in the filthy city.

    Home is a good topic. I am bewildered as to why the East Coast felt so good to me; it is just the U.S., or was it that we stayed with a family that took us in as if we'd been born to them? Very good topic...

    ReplyDelete