Tuesday, July 6, 2010

mid-summer musings

While there are many delightful aspects to what I call la fille unique de la vie, one peril is getting dressed and out the door to one's up-front-and-in-the-spotlight career while having no other eyes checking the outfit.  Hence, it was far past time to get a full-length mirror.  As it is supposed to hit the 90s this week, decided to go to the local hardware store before they run out of fans and found mirrors on sale.

Been pondering my delight in my miniature garden.  I know as a child, I did not delight in anything to do with weeding or picking of any produce.  Perhaps there's a serenity in poking in the dirt.  I know there's delight in seeing things grow and bloom.


Perhaps it's a sense of rootedness.  I remember reading a friend's dissertation about growing up as a mission kid and I felt a resonance as I read her words.  There's a dichotomy of feeling as though I belong nowhere and as though I could fit in almost anywhere.   I recently counted up my mailing/street addresses.  I've 38 so far.  I'm 40.  I've attended four elementary schools, (Sierra View, Valley View, Kelso-Longview and Middle River) three high schools (Laurelwood Academy, Lincoln City [homeschool], Columbia Academy, four colleges for undergrad (Walla Walla University, Newbold College, Delta Community College, Pacific Union College) and five grad/continuing ed universities (University of Washington, San Jose State University, Dartmouth,  Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley and finally Westminster Choir College). I've three resumes--one for performing/auditions gigs and two for other jobs. 

Does this make me flaky or versatile?

It's no wonder I hold myself aloof from groups and why I feel so restless and gypsy-like.   I have packing and moving down to a two-day science.  I often wonder if I will ever root in one place  or commit to a community or career path.  Or if I will continue to waft about my entire life.


I have no conclusions to any of these ponderings.  But for now my soul is content as my tomatoes are turning red prior to our heat wave.  And for now, my roots are here.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I DO love this post, every bit of it. And understand it to some degree, having far fewer addresses than you've had. I know what to wish for you now: a garden in the dirt of the earth (not potting soil, not in planters) and a full-length mirror affixed solidly to your own wall, for years, and a spot for my piano when I die, from which it will not need to be moved, evermore, amen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute your perky little a-line skirt.

    Yeah... it sort of horrifies me that we lived sans a full length mirror for almost three years. It was well past time when we got one last month... but somehow, seeing the whole of myself in Scotland hasn't mattered that much, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When people find out how many moves and schools are in my history, they ask if I was a "military brat" - no, just a PK/PW! I TOTALLY empathize but have not gotten down the sorting/packing to a fine art as have you. Glad to have you in our area currently! And as for how you look - the mirror should only confirm your good fashion sense and the benefit of all your hiking!

    ReplyDelete