Wednesday, July 7, 2010

if home is where the heart is


then pretty sure my home is in Seattle's Central Library where there is a delightful Chocolate Cafe on the mezzanine level.   The library was just named one of the most influential architectural structures of this century.  Which seems a rather grand statement as this century is just beginning.



I'm still deciding what I think about the outside of the place, but the innards are quite nice.


A stripey sweet pea...although, I'm pretty sure the technical term is varigated.

3 comments:

  1. Technical, schmechnical. That's the Bold Stripey Pink Sweet Pea if I've ever seen one.

    I am loving - but weirded out - of this trend for libraries to have cafes. I mean, remember all the hullabaloo about not looking at books with our dirty hands that they gave us in elementary school? and about not being on the computer with food? How, then, can we have these great cafes? Seems to me more books are damaged that way... but, what the heck. For those of us who know how to hold our tea, it's a treat.

    THIS really annoyed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I find odd is the chain bookstores that allow, even encourage, customers to bring magazines into the cafe. So, then people are eating sweet sticky things and leaving smudgey fingerprints all over the unpurchased merchandise. Odd.

    And I won't even comment on the libraries as malls....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I'm so glad for our library - which does not have a cafe - that the free books will never be taken for granted. Spending time at B&N, however, researching for a graduate paper I was editing - I was aware of spills on new books/magazines and quite appalled.

    ReplyDelete