Saturday, July 31, 2010

goin' home


Have kind of lost the thread of this month's topic, but will finish the month with one final musing.  It was while listening to Dvorak's music that I got the idea for these home reflections.  He composed one of his best-loved works while he was staying smack in the middle of Iowa.  There's much more I could ramble on about in good musicology style, but I will trust that should you want to improve your academic and historical understanding, you will look it up yourself.

One of my favorite renditions of this song is by the gorgeous soprano voice of Kathleen Battle.


As I have previously mentioned, I've had a bit of a gypsy-esque life.   Even though I have not officially had a mailing address in the above pictured Chehalem Valley, it is home to me.  As I zip around the curves coming out of Portland, some kind of peace always envelops me.   I feel fortunate to have roots in this place.  And I feel lucky that I get to be there next month.

Happy August--the month of blackberries, at least in my corner of the world.

1 comment:

  1. Never having heard of Kathleen Battle, I was delighted with her singing - also the introduction and accompaniment. Thanks, Laurie, for a beautiful musical experience.

    ReplyDelete