Saturday, October 3, 2009

joyful moments

I love city life. As a child, I loved going to Chinatown in SF and I fell completely in love with London when I was an undergrad. I am delighting in exploring my new city. I relish being able to walk out the door and have grand adventures. What will I see? What food will I try? What outlandish outfits/hair will I see?

So far, this weekend has brought an outing to an indie film festival.  The movie I saw was rather earnest and angsting, with some truly awful editing, but I liked the story AND I talked with the director for 20 minutes during the reception.  How often does one get to do that at the local cinema?  Tres cool. 



Today was incredibly crisp and the sun cajoled me out and about.  Decided to walk to the Olympic Sculpture Park.  Lovely vines, all ready for Christmas.



Wacky glass sculpture.



Big Brother, is indeed, watching.



still deciding what I think of modern art.



absolutely no clue



View from a bench.



Snack on the bench.  So happy that this genre of bar finally made it to the west coast!



Reminded me of strolling around Manhattan.



Beauty everywhere, even at one's feet.



gorgeous autumn peppers at Pike Market



I love looking up while waiting at a crosswalk.  This is the elegant top to some generic retail shop.



flower boxes outside the Convention Center Sheraton.




There's poetry in the sidewalk, a block from my house.



Um-hm.  Fresh sourdough bread.  Nothing better.



except, perhaps, homemade caramel and $.11 found.


exquisite moonrise

3 comments:

  1. Some truly wonderful shots, here. I really enjoy this style of blogging you've begun here ... I guess because it gives so much more of an idea of your surroundings and your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely sidewalk grates and street poetry! Reminds me a bit of Berkeley. *sigh*

    I am going to make vegan caramel with... coconut milk. WICKED good, and no less fattening, I am sure.

    I envy you your peppers and plants. I miss the New World; we're ridiculously excited over finding one small pumpkin. I wish for Indian corn and gourds, too. Enjoy them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Where Everything Is Music'

    Don't worry about saving these songs!

    And if one of our instruments breaks,

    it doesn't matter.



    We have fallen into the place

    where everything is music.



    The strumming and the flute notes

    rise into the atmosphere,

    and even if the whole world's harp

    should burn up, there will still be

    hidden instruments playing.



    So the candle flickers and goes out.

    We have a piece of flint, and a spark.



    This singing art is sea foam.

    The graceful movements come from a pearl

    somewhere on the ocean floor.



    Poems reach up like spindrift and the edge

    of driftwood along the beach, wanting!



    They derive

    from a slow and powerful root

    that we can't see.



    Stop the words now.

    Open the window in the centre of your chest,

    and let the spirits fly in and out.



    -Rumi

    ReplyDelete