Friday, December 31, 2010

T. S. Eliot


Very challenging to pick the poem that I feel is the summation of this year; have spent the week reading through my shelf (yes! an entire shelf, 40+ volumes of poetry--how delicious) to choose the right words.


In the end, I return to one of the first poets I met, Mr. Eliot. I choose to leave this calendar year with bits from The Four Quartets; I will not quote all 60 pages of the poetry, but if you've not treated yourself to a reading of this work, I would think it would make an excellent beginning to 2011.


from Burnt Norton (named after his country home in Gloucestershire):

"Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the rose-garden.  My words echo
Thus, in your mind.
                   But to what purpose,
Disturbing the dust on a bowl of rose-leaves
I do not know."


and from Little Gidding (named after an Anglican religious community):

"For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's word await another voice."


Here's to new words and new language and a new calendar year.  Happy 2011 everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Eliot - you chose well from his works - one of my favorite poets - great illustrations too. Blessings on 2011 for you.

    ReplyDelete