Monday, July 16, 2012

quirks


 Always an adventure, and usually fun, to figure out a new region's quirks and idiosyncrasies.  I've now learned to heed the weather warnings here.  When they say heavy rain, they mean 3-5 inches within what feels like minutes.  And I now know what the phrase 'sheets of water' looks like.


The winds that accompanied this rain made me realize that I need to quickly replace my plants' original Home Depot plastic pots with some hefty ceramic ones!


And in other local explorations....the main grocery chain here is H.E.B.  I figured that it was the initials of the people who founded it.  Nu-uh.  It stands for.....wait for it....Here.  Everything's.  Better.

Hand to God.

I've been in three different stores and am not really impressed.  Still awaiting the winter opening of the new Trader's in the area.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately HEB makes me think of "heeb," which is what my Jewish friends call each other for Hebrew. ☺ "Everything" being better is somewhat of a risky statement to make, to be honest; I wonder what my friend Nancy - a company/product namer - would have to say about them...

    Meanwhile, I remember seeing pink and green lightning in New Orleans, so yeah; the South and the Southwest can bring the weather. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Well, their motto could be something horrible such as, "every little helps." I cringed every time I heard that, and am so glad not to be where they use it any more. :)

    ReplyDelete