Monday, August 16, 2010

wandertag

When I was in school in England, my roommate and I visited a friend in Austria and were introduced to the lovely idea of a wandertag. And as I'm not having any vacation this summer, decided to treat a day off in such manner. Join me as I wander my town.


The other side of the underpass going towards the beach.


As it was high tide, there wasn't much beach walking, so did a shore line walk instead and was amused by this natural bird seed holder.


Also happened upon some Native American dances....when they got to the Sun Dance, I excused myself.  I did not sign up for heat waves in Seattle and did want the gods to think that I was in any way participating in asking for more sun.


Have noticed that there is a great deal of tile and design in the sidewalks of this city and it delights me on every walk.


The moon mosaic going into the underpass--which I hadn't noticed on my previous visit.


Came home to enjoy my lunch of frozen watermelon chunks and found that my first nasturtium had broken into bloom!


In my continuing loo documentation--this is the tres chic sink set up INSIDE the stall at a local shopping center.  Fully picture worthy, I think.


One of the best chile rellenos into which I've sunk a fork, happily discovered in a local restaurant.


The awful smog does create some gorgeous sunset skies.


Arrived home tonight to find that my butter had melted.  Now, I've had it melt while living in Lodi and Napa and Princeton, but Seattle??  Wrong, oh so wrong.  You may ask why I had a cube of butter just sitting around?  I had read an article in Sunday's paper about adding herbs and condimenty things and using it as a spread.  Since my herb garden is going wild, I thought I would experiment with some thyme/Asiago and chive and black pepper spreads.  Hence, the warming of the butter.


Finished product.  Methinks tomorrow's quest will involved a fresh loaf of sourdough upon to spread these.  Although, I've heard rumors that the President will be in my neighborhood, so a glimpse of the entourage might be the day's agenda.


In my continuing to live locally, was delighted to find this soap today.  Again, I wish blogs came with a scent option because this smells like the best Christmas cookies you've ever smelled.

4 comments:

  1. Since I'm not sleeping (and need to for my trip across to care for the wee ones) - it was a joy to participate via pix in your "wandertag." Thanks for sharing. Would have liked to taste as well as smell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could not the sun dance have been about persuading the sun to go away or shine less virulently? Those Native folks aren't crazy - their butter is melting, too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah no--the narrator began with "we give praise to Sister Sun" and continued on with the adulation.

    My wee chile plant now has three miniature peppers on it. Not sure what I'll do with them. Dry them and add them to soup this winter, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete