Saturday, November 5, 2011

eulogy


Kenneth Dull was my teacher from 1986-88.  (Do not care how old one becomes, it still feels odd to call high school teachers by their first names.)  He brought such zest and creativity to each classroom. 

In U.S. History, he divided us into delegates from the original colonies and we had to debate and write a constitution of our own.


He also taped (yes, children, this was the era of video tapes) the opening segment of GMA and showed it to us each day; prying open our little teenaged minds and showing us a bigger world.


For Washington State History, he gave us each a county to research;  I thought of that as I recently moved back to this region, but sadly have lost my fine folder on Island County. 


He devoted months of his time in coaching our small drama group through a melodrama, a Christmas play, culminating with a fine production of Wilde's Earnest.


ASB was also a place where he poured hours of his time/energy into the myriad activities that that encompasses.

Am not sure where Patrick McManus fit into our curriculum, but he would read frequently from these books until we were all crying with laughter.


Beyond all of the great high school memories I have of Mr. Dull's classes, the greatest gift he gave was that he was still interested in his students (a trait which many of my teachers from the Columbia era share).  We had just chatted last week about Mt. Rainier; he loved the photos I would take of the mountain from my balcony in Seattle and he would tell more mountain-climbing tales.

It is only now that I've accumulated fifteen years of teaching experience, that I realize what a marvelous and creative energy he gave to all of us.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Dull.  The earth is a better place because you were here.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't as friendly-close to any of my high school teachers as you were (except for a single year for choir), and I always enjoy hearing the stories of how great they were, as well as their innovative teaching methods. I always found it extraordinary to have teachers who still believed that the outside world had some relevance, so the GMA segments - at a boarding school, especially - must have been amazing.

    I also am quite sure that his name was something he decided he'd never be. I'm glad he knew how you felt about him. What a gift to have given, and to hold onto now.

    ReplyDelete