Tuesday, January 11, 2011

what is your work?


"There is one thing in this world you must never forget to do.  Human beings come into this world to do particular work.  That work is their purpose, and each is specific to the person.  If you forget everything else and not this, there's nothing to worry about.  If you remember everything else and forget your true work, then you will have done nothing with your life."  Rilke


While I know that he is speaking philosophically and not specifically, these are still good words to read as I enter my 12th month of job-hunting.  Yes.  That is an entire year of trying to find work.  My first job was at fourteen, running the laundry in a retirement home, and I've worked steadily ever since.  Until now.  I realize this is a national phenomenon, but I don't care to be trendy.    I was even unable to find holiday temp work.


When I follow up on jobs, the people I speak to say that they receive up to 200 applications.  These are for PART-TIME jobs with no benefits.  A little surreal.


So today's delight is that I live in a temperate region, so should I end up living under the freeway, at least I won't freeze to death.

3 comments:

  1. Prayers have been going up from WW for a FULL-TIME good job for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's one way of being positive... kinda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey--I could be in, oh, Chicago or Boston. So yes, this is a plus!

    ReplyDelete