Wednesday, June 23, 2010

silver tea


It was summer.   There was a heat wave.  It was choir tour in southern Europe/Turkey and when I heard the hum of an a/c unit,  I honed in on that shop with a speed and directness that would make any military proud.


To my delight, it was silver shop.  The shop keeper and I shared no common language.  Except music.  When I shrieked over finding a ring with treble clefs on it, I attempted a music lesson via drawings and demonstrations.  He was so thrilled that he brought out his transistor radio and we had our own Michael Jackson sing-along.


We had such a nice song fest that he brought out an exquisite tea set.  It was the most revoltingly sweet apple tea that I've ever tasted, yet the afternoon is one of my favorite memories.

A random afternoon, an unexpected connection, a lifelong memory.


No matter how mundane the day's task, despite the inanities that may stare at me,  whenever I wear this ring, I am cheered--knowing that there are still enchanted adventures ahead.

4 comments:

  1. :giggles:
    Oh, a Michael Jackson singalong. I did not see THAT one coming.

    Charming tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh. I like it. And I, too, was surprised by the MJ singalong. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, he did most of the singing--I just hummed along mainly.

    ReplyDelete