Thursday, June 17, 2010

perspective

was trying to find the delight in this day that was long on meetings/funeral planning and seemingly short on the joyous side of things.  The day did not begin auspiciously when I was not only late for work, my car needed gas.


As I had forgotten to brush my teeth, I dashed into the mart to procure some gum.  The clerk--a man whom I've never seen before--said, "Oh lady, are you okay?  You look very tired.  You ought to go back to sleep."



I related this story to many giggles during staff meeting and as I wandered the day, I decided that I would take this seeming insult as a kindness.  While living in a busy city and shopping at a random shop, a stranger actually saw me and noticed how tired I was.


While this may look like nasty slices of spam, it is a pan full of sweet potatoes tossed with garlic and rosemary.  Not only healthy, but made my flat smell divine.

3 comments:

  1. Very occasionally you find someone who's interested in people, or is just human enough to pay attention to others. It's nice when that happens. :)

    Ahh, sweet potatoes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took that as a kindness, too. When strangers comment on my appearance -- granted, it doesn't happen often, but when they do, I take it as a check-in sent in from the universe. You can't choose the messenger, and they're definitely not always smooth, but sometimes the message is needed... Sometimes it's a reminder to simply relax my face muscles and muster a pleasant expression... no reason not to smile, every reason not to wrack up yet more spaces for wrinkles. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for being noticed - on walks I've actually gone in and out of a convenience store just for the simple chance of being seen and spoken to. Like that you included it in your blog - a serendipity on a bleak-looking day!

    ReplyDelete