Saturday, June 26, 2010

Bernstein & salted caramel


Am pleased that the funeral of state yesterday went smoothly--my reward was sleeping in and this happy pink box with a salted caramel cupcake inside.


The Symphony last night was also a delight--from the Chichester Psalms
(which I got to sing with the Napa Valley Symphony mannnnnny years ago) to the glorious bit based on Auden's Age of Anxiety, it was an evening of aural loveliness.  I had not read this poem by Auden and was unsuccessful at finding at a bookstore today, but will keep searching.  Bernstein read it when it was first published in the mid-1940s and was so enthralled with the images, he composed this piece.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'll have to look up Age of Anxiety; that sounds about par for what age I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an enormously long bit--a Baroque eclogue (a form which I had to look up.)

    ReplyDelete