Friday, October 12, 2012

bless your little heart


It's pumpkin time!  Carved these little guys during the Veep debate last night; very enjoyable evening.  Although, next year, I will go back to regular sized pumpkins--these are difficult to carve into.  But, the seeds are roasting and my home smells autumnal and cosy.

Have been remiss in Poetry Friday, so here's one that made me laugh--because I get it after being in this new culture.


At Steak 'n Shake I learned that if you add
"Bless their hearts" after their names, you can say
whatever you want about them and it's OK.
My son, bless his heart, is an idiot,
she said. He rents storage space for his kids'
toys—they're only one and three years old!
I said, my father, bless his heart, has turned
into a sentimental old fool. He gets
weepy when he hears my daughter's greeting
on our voice mail
. Before our Steakburgers came
someone else blessed her office mate's heart,
then, as an afterthought, the jealous hearts
of the entire anthropology department.
We bestowed blessings on many a heart
that day. I even blessed my ex-wife's heart.
Our waiter, bless his heart, would not be getting
much tip, for which, no doubt, he'd bless our hearts.
In a week it would be Thanksgiving,
and we would each sit with our respective
families, counting our blessings and blessing
the hearts of family members as only family
does best. Oh, bless us all, yes, bless us, please
bless us and bless our crummy little hearts.

"Bless Their Hearts" by Richard Newman, from Domestic Fugues. © Steel Toe Books, 2009.

3 comments:

  1. I love that poem; it always cracks me the heck up. My friend Jules, who is from Tennessee, gives credence to the "bless your heart" thing as fact. It's awful; I hear myself when annoyed larding my comments with endearments or blessings, and bite my tongue... it's a wonder anyone believes anything I ever say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. October
    By Robert Frost
    O hushed October morning mild,
    Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
    Tomorrow’s wind, if it be wild,
    Should waste them all.
    The crows above the forest call;
    Tomorrow they may form and go.
    O hushed October morning mild,
    Begin the hours of this day slow.
    Make the day seem to us less brief.
    Hearts not averse to being beguiled,
    Beguile us in the way you know.
    Release one leaf at break of day;
    At noon release another leaf;
    One from our trees, one far away.
    Retard the sun with gentle mist;
    Enchant the land with amethyst.
    Slow, slow!
    For the grapes’ sake, if they were all,
    Whose leaves already are burnt with frost,
    Whose clustered fruit must else be lost—
    For the grapes’ sake along the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my current fav is: all ya'll. Just love how it covers so many situations. Have also noticed 'sweetie' coming out of my mouth....and not in that super loving way. :)

    ReplyDelete