Wednesday, August 22, 2012

striving for perspective



We just had to evacuate the school.....due to a strange odor leaking from a drinking fountain.  V. strange--have needed to leave buildings/schools for a variety of reasons over my life, but this was a new one.  Seems some wires were shorting out and causing the reek of melted metal to creep down the hallways.  Quel excitement.  
And of course, I don't have accurate evacuation and emergency maps given to me yet.  (There's a massive construction site on campus that alters all routes right now.)  So, the children are on the ceiling and ever so thrilled that this happened.
Sigh.
And as we are in tornado country now (v. strange to me after years of earthquake drills), and as I'm trying to survive this first hellish week, thought I needed to read some poetry.  Hope it brings to you a bit a joy and perspective as well.
YES
It could happen any time, tornado,
earthquake, Armageddon. It could happen.
Or sunshine, love, salvation.
It could you know. That’s why we wake
and look out—no guarantees
in this life.
But some bonuses, like morning,
like right now, like noon,
like evening.
~William Stafford


No comments:

Post a Comment