Wednesday, February 8, 2012

a little paper writing/editing humor...


In addition to our insane English grammar and cosmopolitan vocabulary, my students are also needing to learn how to format papers.  And I forget that EVERYTHING needs to be taught--from appropriate academic fonts to layout to saving in the correct paper size for our non-metric world.   

While they are, indeed, teenagers, I admire them so much for hopping across the globe to tackle high school in their second language.  The first vocab word I gave them this semester was 'courageous' from the old French 'coeur' because I told them they have strong hearts.


And on a whimsical note, I am focused on adding glitter--either metaphoric or literal--to my classroom and my routines.  V. important.

2 comments:

  1. (Some boys were born with glitter in their veins, too. Luckily, there are outlets for that sorts of things... you'd want to get it out; glitter seems like it'd be spiky.)

    2" margin on all sides, paragraph indent, Times New Roman or Courier, 12 point only, thank you. How funny that that even has to come up - though when I was teaching 5th, I had to tell them that, too, or those few who typed things loved to turn their papers in with curly, swirly, totally unreadable fonts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I try to steer font lovers into the field of graphic design. As our world runs on advertising, there is plenty of scope for them to swirl away.

    ReplyDelete