Tuesday, February 7, 2012

language play


As I require so much English vocabulary from my students (yes, that is indeed, the task for which I am paid), it seemed fair that they get to teach me words from their language.  Two of my sessions are with Chinese students only, so each day they choose a Mandarin word from something in my day to add to my stack of flashcards.


Friday's word was tang (soup) and today's was yang-guang which is sun.  And the lovely forceful way of pronouncing these words led to a zany little poem about sunny soup.    

Am not sure what grammar points my students will remember from this semester, but I know they are absorbing the fact that words can fun & friendly and there is far more to language that tedious recitations and rules.

1 comment:

  1. Are they teaching you how to write these words as well - ? That would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete