Friday, September 9, 2011

poetry of human kindness



Yesterday dawned hot and hazy and you all know how much I enjoy that weather combo.  Thursday are also my day of back-to-back rehearsals--which I love.  However, all the venues did not have a/c, so spent the day completely drenched in sweat.

But things went well and it was good to see my singers and ringers after summer hiatus and I was zipping along home when my car started wildly shuddering.  This was on the bridge portion of I-90.  I could hear metal grinding into the asphalt by the time I got to the shoulder.

I do know how to change a flat and have done so on the fine freeway in downtown Oakland, but traffic was so heavy I was scared to get out of my car.  After several phone calls for help, I finally just dialed 911.

While I was waiting, another car pulled over and the guy offered assistance.  When he said he had his own hard hat and reflective vest, I figured it was okay to accept.  Which was fortunate as my jack was welded into my car and we couldn't get it out and had to use his.  We changed the tire just in time for the Highway Patrol to arrive.  He helpfully held a flashlight so we could load the tire in the trunk.  I asked him what would have happened if I were bleeding and injured and had to wait 45 minutes.  He told me that the dispatcher said that I was calm on the phone.  Next time I'll shriek.


Made it home safely on my spare and am going to send a gift card to the lovely boy who stopped to help.  

No comments:

Post a Comment