Saturday, October 16, 2010

wealth


It's been a rich week, being bookended by two fabulous author events.  Yesterday was a small reading by Michael Cunningham.  The best part was, although he read a bit from his novel for which he is on tour, he read an entire chapter from the one that he is writing right now.  He read with a pen and edited on the spot as we responded.  

That inspiring hour was followed by a lovely thrift store hunt with a friend which yielded a beautiful brown lace skirt.  Now we just need continued autumn weather in which to wear it.


3 comments:

  1. HE READ WITH A PEN?!

    Oh, wow. I have to say that whenever I read out loud, I have to stop and fix things, but I can't see fixing things based on how people respond... wow, that is walking without a net.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't so much that he changed things because of us...he said one of the more useful things for him while he's immersed in writing is to read aloud at the end of every writing day. He said there's just something about hearing it that can alert one to icky phrases or bits that don't make sense. (Which is something I've done for papers I've written and it does work.)

    The so-cool thing about yesterday is that at some point in the future, when I'm at some perhaps random airport bookshop, I will pick up this novel and remember that I heard him read a working draft of a chapter.

    ReplyDelete