Friday, October 22, 2010

eve ensler

This poem is found at the end of her newest book in which she writes fictional monologues and stories inspired by girls around the globe. 


I Am An Emotional Creature

I love being a girl.
I can feel what you're feeling
as you're feeling it inside
the feeling
before.
I am an emotional creature.
Things do not come to me
as intellectual theories or hard-shaped ideas.
They pulse through my organs and legs
and burn up my ears.
I know when your girlfriend's really pissed off
even though she appears to give you what
      you want.
I know when a storm is coming.
I can feel the invisible stirrings in the air.
I can tell you he won't call back.
It's a vibe I share.


I am an emotional creature.
I love that I do not take things lightly.
Everything is intense to me.
The way I walk in the street.
The way my mother wakes me up.
The way I hear bad news.
The way it's unbearable when I lose.....


This is not extreme.
It's a girl thing.
What we would all be
if the big door inside us flew open.
Don't tell me not to cry
To calm it down
Not to be so extreme
To be reasonable.
I am an emotional creature.
It's how the earth got made.
How the wind continues to pollinate.
You don't tell the Atlantic Ocean
to behave.....



I love that I can feel the inside
of the feelings in you,
even if it stops my life
even if it hurts too much
or takes me off track
even if it breaks my heart.
It makes me responsibile.
I am an emotional
I am an emotional, devotional,
incandotional creature.
And I love, hear me,
love love love
being a girl.


2 comments:

  1. Ah, Eve Ensler. I'm not sure I agree with any of her statements here; I disbelieve quite strongly that ONLY girls can "feel the emotion you feel inside of you," and that only girls feel things intensely. That's such a divisive idea, but I can see her point is to celebrate what brings women, at least (or girls - which is why this poem sounds like she's describing twelve-year-olds, to me) together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, now that I've read the poem this morning--out of context from the book, I can see your points. I read the book in one sitting, so the poem summed up all the stories up to that point.

    ReplyDelete