Sunday, September 2, 2012

blessings


While I'm always elated to hear/see from alumni, this week it has been especially heartening to hear from my ESL students returning to the US and to get this photo of two of my favorite music students.  They're both in grad programs on the east coast and met up to hear Audra McDowell sing in 'Porgy & Bess'.  One of them thanked me for introducing him to Gershwin.  Completely made my weekend!


Penny found on my way to a cool coffee house.  Yummy coffee and lovely lake views.


Then it was off to a rugby gala dinner at the posh Stephen Austin Inter-Continental Hotel.  


My table of carnivores was slightly envious of my prettily striped pasta.



And another penny found during errand running today.  Am thrilled to find the wakeme seaweed for mere pennies here (it runs over $8 per packet at usual grocers).  This week's Asian food experiment is going to be with the dehydrated gluten chunks.  Still trying to recreate a favorite dish that was eaten during my undergrad years in the Napa Valley.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a posh dining room.
    Are you trying to remake Teng's ginger scallion tofu? I think they started with frozen chunks and flash-fried them... but I'll be interested if you can come up with what they did!! That sauce alone would be worth $$ to reproduce!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That's the exact dish! I've tried frozen chunks and it didn't work out the same.

    ReplyDelete