Friday, July 15, 2011

ordinary fishes

(Today's poetry is to honor my family field trip to the Seattle Aquarium.)



by Stacie Cassarino

At the pet store on Court Street,
I search for the perfect fish.
The black moor, the blue damsel,
cichlids and neons. Something
to distract your sadness, something
you don't need to love you back.
Maybe a goldfish, the flaring tail,
orange, red-capped, pearled body,
the darting translucence? Goldfish
are ordinary, the boy selling fish
says to me. I turn back to the tank,
all of this grace and brilliance,
such simplicity the self could fail
to see. In three months I'll leave
this city. Today, a chill in the air,
you're reading Beckett fifty blocks
away, I'm looking at the orphaned
bodies of fish, undulant and gold fervor.
Do you want to see aggression?
the boy asks, holding a purple beta fish
to the light while dropping handfuls
of minnows into the bowl. He says,
I know you're a girl and all
but sometimes it's good to see.
Outside, in the rain, we love
with our hands tied,
while things tear away at us.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I like this one!!! The little boy is ...disturbing. Sometimes aggression is good to see, I guess, but he seems to jar destructively against her sadness. Oh, well, that's very true to life; people rarely indulge you by being as atmospheric as one's mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was going to use the fish prayer from 'Prayers from the Ark', but it was really depressing--something about being trapped within a crystalline world. And then I leaned toward the goofiness of Nash or Seuss, but the lines here about grace, brilliance, and simplicity won me over.

    ReplyDelete