Saturday, May 7, 2011

SWF seeking Niche


"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"  
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the cat.  
"I don't much care where," said Alice.  
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the cat.

Lewis Carroll, from Alice in Wonderland

embossed and ivoried serifs burst with profusion from my post box
   quietly mocking  with commencement, nuptial and offspring arrivals

while glad for other's fortunes, I wonder
   when? 
        when do I get the grant?
       the train ticket?
            the ring? 
                    the stamp in my passport?
                WHEN?

even while know I am only seeing the outer of the Other
    my mirrored shell is cruel
        with it's callous reflections of cellulite and grey 
the Other's skinny joy is juxtaposed
    with my sodden and stagnant life 
        manky-- like January leaves in the gutter

Exhausted with a life
    precarious
        scrabbled together with duct tape and paper clips

Guilt slinks around my ankles
    what kind of ingrate am I to morose around
        while the neighborhood exuberantly
    throws pinks and greens into the air?

Still.  i ask
                           when, oh when
    when is it my turn to bloom?






All photos from my wander around my neighborhood this morning.  If you peer closely at this last one, you will be delighted to see that it is blooming in both pink and white--thanks to someone's grafting.

3 comments:

  1. Those first tulip-y/rose things look fake, they're so delicate looking.

    In the spirit of blooming where you're planted, and all other garden-centric advice, I hope you do find your fronds unfurling soon.

    I wonder, though, with humans, as opposed to flowers, if it's based on choice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, it helps to have the stability of roots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knowing, loving, and admiring the poet makes "when?" a poignant/urgent/natural and not rhetorical question.

    ReplyDelete