Saturday, November 3, 2012

saying yes



There's some dippy movie about a man who is (actually not sure what happens to him--lightening?  malevolent fairy?) anyway, something happens and he can only say yes to everything.  While I've found it healthy to learn how to say 'no' in the past few years, think it's good to keep a balance of saying, yes!


And so, this morning as I complimented Senora Clinton on her gorgeous shawl and asked what they were doing for Dia de los Muertes, she said they were painting sugar skulls and she had extra and invited me to join the class.  This sounded close enough to a field trip, so I said 'si! si!' and jaunted down the hill into the 5th grade Spanish class.


2 seconds later, they were smiling, but my camera froze.





 For some, choosing the sequined eyes took longer than the painting-with-the-frosting/toothpicks.




 The finished product; you wouldn't believe the number of student who volunteered throughout the day to help me eat this mass of sugar.  Perhaps it was cruel of me to leave it on my desk to finished drying?




And so, home.  Between the full moon and the Halloween candy and the Saints' Parade for church (do not ask), this was just the perfect project to wrap up this stretch of academia.  I leave you with an Iris Murdoch quote that may become this year's motto:
~One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats.

3 comments:

  1. That's a large sugar cube for one's coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, two of my fellow teachers said that I ought to use tongs (!) to swirl it through my coffee; we bet it would last months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or, Baga Yaga style: clench it between your teeth and drink your tea.

    Do people really eat those? I always thought they were just left on graves...

    ReplyDelete