Friday, November 2, 2012

reading the fine print


(entrance to the art gallery on the UT campus)

Whatever is foreseen in joy
Must be lived out from day to day.
Vision held open in the dark
By our ten thousand days of work.
Harvest will fill the barn; for that
The hand must ache, the face must sweat.

And yet no leaf or grain is filled
By work of ours; the field is tilled
And left to grace. That we may reap,
Great work is done while we're asleep.

When we work well, a Sabbath mood
Rests on our day, and finds it good.

"X" by Wendell Berry, from A Timbered Choir. © Counterpoint, 1998.


If I were brilliant at math (or truly motivated), I would find out exactly where I am in the ten thousand days of slogging bit of my vision.  But as I'm not, I took myself back to the Blanton Gallery (free Thursdays!) for a palate cleanse of this icky day.


The stairwell, Stacked Water, shimmers one up to the permanent collections where my rooms of cents exists!



Falling Stars does not come across well in a photograph, but it's fairly stunning.  It fills a gallery sized wall and there are labels of stars that have 'fallen' off the painting.  Again, they don't show up here.  I had a nice stare at it while remembering all the star images from a childhood's  fav story, Carry On, My Bowditch.

A restorative ramble.  An extra hour of slumber sometime this weekend. 

Welcome November.

2 comments:

  1. I need to go to an art gallery.

    Our library has gallery passes you can check out - I think that's amazing. There's one for the Asian Art museum, and I think the first rainy Sabbath I'll go, grab McFlea, and take a wander.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the enormous silent space is restorative. And why wait for a rainy day? (she says living in a plethora of sunny days...)

    ReplyDelete