Saturday, April 28, 2012

not really poetry

but still a lovely day for the arts. After school, and after teaching lessons, I popped on the ferry to catch the last weekend of SAM's Gauguin exhibit.


The city never disappoints in sharing pennies in my path, both literal and otherwise--this carved quote on the north side of Benaroya Hall was worth standing in traffic to grab a shot.


 "So long as the human spirit thrives on this planet, 
music in some living form
 will accompany and sustain it and give it expressive meaning."

From Copland's 1954 radio address titled Music as an Aspect of the Human Spirit.


While I am falling in love with modern art, there are still genres of it that baffle me.  This surreptitious photo is of some weird new art installation in SAM's hall.  These blurred objects are flattened cardboard boxes; hand to God.  Who knew that my living room is full of Art?

2 comments:

  1. Hahahah! Oh, we're rollin 'in the art here, too, then.

    I love that Copland quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the boxes are now filed with the hanging snow shovel at MoMA as bizarre. I can appreciate the idea of looking at everyday objects as art, but to display them in major museums?

    And I was mulling over your BBC interview when I saw that Copland quote. Good stuff, music.

    ReplyDelete