Friday, June 10, 2011

filled with the spirit


This Sunday is Pentecost and we're doing a joint service.  That means every parish musician gets to perform When the dust settles, it will have been a lovely and vibrant service.  But right now I'm absorbing all the opinions about styles of music and which is most appropriate/holiest/most pleasing to the deity and fielding questions about why such/such and so/so gets more notes to sing during the service.

(Seriously!  Who are these people who have time to worry about who gets more air time?)

To cope, I pulled out one of my church musician books and found this quote.  It's not poetry, but it's spirit lifting; from Harold Best's Music Through the Eyes of Faith:

Remember: there is no such thing as 'constructive criticism'.  Also remember:  everyone is a music critic.  'I know what I like' usually means 'I like what I know.'  The seven last words of the church--we've never done it like that before--will always be present, but for the most part, you will rise above this.  Sometimes, however, you will be tempted to jump out of your office window.  Remember that you are only on the second floor--hardly worth it! 

Since my office is in the basement and jumping is not viable, I resort to throwing hymnals.; at least mentally  Think the most challenging part is keeping my mouth shut and not voicing my musical opinion.  My job here is to facilitate and coordinate musicians; not dictate what I think is tasteful and elegant.

Summer cannot come soon enough!

2 comments:

  1. I think it is worth sending out a letter to all parties involved and reminding them, "It is the Lord God you are serving," and telling them this very thing. They are behaving disgracefully, and I wouldn't put up with that crap. They're filled with a spirit, all right, and it's not the one that speaks in a still, small voice.

    Frankly - bluntly - it is displeasing to God, and if they can't pull their -- whatever -- together, then maybe there will be no service.

    Man, I know they're glad I'm not their minister of music. But, seriously - our church had an all-out war on music styles, and we just did without music for several months while everyone got over themselves. I understand that the church who wrote "It's All About You," had to do the same thing, which is why they wrote:

    I'm coming back to the heart of worship,
    And it's all about You, all about You, Jesus,
    I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I made it,
    When it's all about You,
    All about you, Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tanita - this is disgraceful behavior. You may have to put up with it to get paid - and I'm glad you will not be literally jumping out of windows and throwing hymnals. Hope this ends soon.

    ReplyDelete